Monday, July 2, 2012

The Goodbye Girls

 Christopher Owen of Girls announced his departure from that outfit today, bringing to close a chapter of one of the more interesting groups in the last five years.  Their recorded output consisted of a much buzzed about debut entitled Album, followed up by an EP, Broken Dreams Club, that neatly sidestepped the dreaded 'Sophomore Slump', and then further upped the ante with Father, Son, , one of last year's best.  All the albums were on True Panther.   It was fun to watch the growth of the group.  As Owen matured as a writer, so did JR White's musical settings, and it can be said that they're going out at the top of their game.
 
In his own words:

1) Dear all, This may come as a surprise to many & has been an issue of much thought for me. My decision was not easy to make
2) I am leaving Girls. My reasons at this time are personal. I need to do this in order to progress
3) I will continue to write & record music. More will be announced soon. I thank you all for everything. Sincerely–Christopher
 
To retrace the journey, here's a clip from their Coachella debut in 2010:
And their final official video:

No comments:

Post a Comment